I used to play music professionally during and after college and sometimes while in college, we would play as a small group on the sidewalk in downtown Santa Barbara to make a few bucks. 95% of people simply just walk by almost completely unaware of what is going on around them while the remaining 5% stop by to check out the performance. That means for the majority of your performance, you are mostly playing for yourselves.

This picture is taken near Marienplatz in Munich, Germany, (where I lived for five years) likely two students from the local conservatory of music. They were wonderful players and almost everyone walking by didn’t stop to pay any attention. Their loss, I suppose.